LIVE YOUR HEALTH
In 2010, after completing a rigorous application and site review process by Meals On Wheels America, we were awarded “Exemplary Status” Magnet Accreditation for our outstanding senior nutrition program.
By March, your New Year’s resolution to eat healthier may still be going strong, or it may have slipped away. Regardless of where you are with your healthy eating habits, National Nutrition Month® is a great time to recharge or refocus.
National Nutrition Month® is the annual nutrition education campaign of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This year’s theme is “Put Your Best Fork Forward.” According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, small changes in food choices can add up to a healthier future, “one forkful at time.”
Below are some of the campaign’s key messages and also ideas on how you can make every bite count!
- Eat a variety of your favorite healthy foods every day. You can add more foods to that list by trying a new fruit, vegetable, or whole grain each week during National Nutrition Month®!
- Try cooking more at home, and substitute or add healthier ingredients into your favorite recipes. Not sure how to do this? Attend a cooking demonstration, borrow a healthy recipe cookbook from your local library, or search online for new healthy recipes.
- Remember that how much you eat is just as important as what you eat. During National Nutrition Month®, practice being more mindful by paying attention to your hunger and satiety cues.
- Make time for physical activity. Exercise does not have to be a chore! Find activities you enjoy. Remember to check with your doctor before beginning any physical activity.
- Registered dietitians can help you eat healthier, manage your weight and reduce your health risks by providing you sound personal nutrition advice. Check your health insurance plan to see if dietitian services are a covered benefit.
“Put Your Best Fork Forward” during National Nutrition Month® … and every month!!
Hayley Daubert is a registered and licensed dietitian and nutritionist who consults with Meals On Wheels of Northampton County and other organizations. For more information, please e-mail email@example.com.